Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I visit the Alps! And see some Edelweiss in the process

Two weeks in Switzerland!!!!!! I have now had my first Swiss grocery store experience and my life is changed. Switzerland's equivalent to Target is called Migros and it literally has everything from tiramisu chocolate bars to banana containers to $18 pencil cases. Kate and I bought our lunch at Migros and struggled to not purchase everything in sight. Migros carries some basic clothes and accessories. My favorite is a line of men's underwear by John Adams. I guess that between being president in 1797 and starring opposite Laura Linney in an HBO mini-series about his life, John Adams discovered his passion and talent for designing reasonably priced boxer briefs.

I also spotted two Swiss nuns at Migros. I was very tempted to ask them how to solve a problem like Maria and how exactly they would go about catching a cloud and subsequently pinning it down. Now that I am on the same continent as the Alps, the Sound of Music references will only increase. I could be in Estonia or Belarus and I would find a way to connect "16 Going on 17" into my life experience.

This past weekend was St. Galler Fest which is basically a giant street festival in which people drink, eat, and dance to Swiss cover bands. I spent my time chowing down on a weinerschnitzel sandwich (Jesus himself must have come up with this one) and listening to a trio of Swiss accordian players/yodelers. They were not the most popular musicians at the event but I figured this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear real Alpine yodelers. It was also fun just strolling the streets of St. Gallen. The old part of the city is straight out a Disney movie with the shingled roofs, frescoes, and exquisite woodcarving. I'm half expecting to see the baker with his tray like always, with the same old bread and rolls to sell every time I walk past some of the various homes and storefronts.

On Sunday, my host parents took me to a mountain called Hoher Kasten. It is not as high as the towering Santis (the highest mountain in the swiss Alpsteins), but it offered a fabulous view of Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and Lichtenstein. The views were absolutely stunning; one side you could see the Santis, another featured goats trundling up a hill, and another offered a view of the Rhine river at the Austrian/Swiss border. I also saw edelweiss for the first time! And it looked pretty happy to meet me, just saying.









After a stopping at the revolving restaurant at the top for some ice cream, we were treated to a short alphorn concert. Let me just say that the alphorn is a highly underrated instrument. I'm not exactly sure why it is not offered in elementary school band, but whatever. The sound was very unique and beautiful and provided the perfect soundtrack to the glorious mountain view. We reached the top via gondola so I'm hoping soon to do some real hiking (who am i?).

I'm still getting used to adjusting myself to Swiss eating habits. Anytime I've had a meal here, by the end of it, everyone's plates are nice and clean while mine looks like the Beast from Beauty and the Beast just ate lunch and dinner at the same time. I also have a new theory that the reason European people are so trim and fit is because they cut their pizza since that is the hardest task in the world and by the time I am done sawing and hacking through my crust, I'm not hungry anymore. The cheese and bread are heaven and I'm also now one of those people who gobs Nutella on anything that stands still. It is a highly versatile condiment.

Everything has been fabulous so far; my host parents and classmates have all been great, the food is pretty grand, there are cows everywhere. Switzerland is a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment